Yes, fluoride is indeed used in some rat poison, but to blankly claim it as toxic is wrong. At a high enough level of quantity and concentration, any substances can be toxic, such as water. There is such a thing aswater toxicity. The amount and concentration of fluoride in water and toothpaste is extremely low and is not toxic. In my opinion, fluoride is an important weapon in combating tooth decay, especially fluorinated water. The best study was done in Grand Rapid, Michigan. Here’s the link to that study (http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/oralhealth/Topics/Fluoride/TheStoryofFluoridation.htm). I know that I cannot change all of my patients’ feeling about fluoride, but that is not my goal. My goal is to just inform them, have them make their own decision, and respect their decision.
For those wondering if their water is fluoridated, click here.